Sunday, January 10, 2010

Relapse& Weight Gain

I did it again. I caved in after only 3 months at the first sign of my weight loss slowing down. I had lost with Weight Watchers before, I would say that this is my nineth time! Each time, at the three months point, I would relapse, go back to my bad habits, regain what I had lost plus some more.

In 2004 I got down to 83 kilos from a high of 106. I was fitting into size 12. Then I hit a plateuu that lasted about 3 weeks before I caved in.I felt doomed and cursed when my weight loss stalled. I gave up and went back uo to 107.

It has taken me until the end of 2008 to find the courage to return to Weight Watchers. I was sure that I would go the distance. To my dismay I crumbled at the 4 month point.

It is not like me to crumble. I am a strong person, why am I so weak in this area?

My 40 plus kilos to lose can seem overwhelming to me at times. After losing 15 kilos quite quickly(in 15 weeks) I suffered a period of low motivation and overeating for comfort. I changed jobs in around May and I found it hard to adapt to the long commute and changed working environment. I was anxious to prove myself so I guess I ate for comfort. I also got a bad virus which gave me low energy.

I was dismayed at how quickly I reverted back to my bad habits once I found myself under pressure. These included buying potatoe cakes at the train station on the way home because I was so hungry as I did not bring any healthy snacks to work. I also hit the Krispy Kream donuts, not one but six at a time.

It took a regain of 2.8 kilos to shock me out of this. Slowly I started to track. A first I kept going over my points limits but I kept at it. After a few weeks I was able to keep on track. I progessed in exercise too. I basically walked to and from train stations as a start, then I hit the treadmill. I have built up to 45 minutes at a brisk pace.

The biggest change for me is that I have become a planner. I take my lunch and snacks to work plus I prepare dinner for the working week on the weekend.

My current state of being on track is only 3 months old. After my relapse I do not take anything for granted. I have to stay focused and make the effort each day.

I am pleased to repot that I lost 8 kilos in the last threee months.

I am aimimg to get to 90 kilos by the end of the year. That will take me to half way to my ultimate goal weight.

I finally got it. At age 47. For me it is about changing my habits. One day at a time.For Life

1 comment:

  1. Oh Diana - this story of yours could be mine. I have started WW & thought all my "out of control" days were behind me. This last week has been very challenging on the home front, & my gosh, I have so gone back to emotional eating. I feel full yet am still browsing for something to snack on. I lost 6 kg in my 1st month & thought, Yay!! but just since last week have gained 1.8 kg & know I have to go back to tracking asap.
    Am starting again right now,

    ReplyDelete